Template based websites are one of the most common ways to get a website up quickly and easily, however, they may not be 100% responsive on all devices and come with limitations on the options that are available such as forms, functions, customization and web tracking analysis.
Template and theme websites come with customizable built-in features which makes it user friendly but ultimately weighs down the websites load times and SEO performance, which will affect your search engine ranking as the slower your site – the lower you will rank (along with many other factors). Also, with these types of websites it is very likely that you will need to settle for designs, functions, colors that won’t match your brand or business.
Check out the below points in using a template based website.
TEMPLATE WEBSITES PROS/CONS:
- Lots of other businesses could have the same template which means you won’t stand out.
- There is limited customization in terms of functionality, colors, etc.
- May not work 100% on all devices.
- May not be built to be search engine friendly.
- Custom or added technologies cannot be added as they run on a structured system.
- Cheaper upfront cost.
- Can be built in a short time.
- Template sites will most likely not have a good support system to help if you need.
With a custom built website an entire team of marketing specialists, graphic designers, and developers are behind your business. The custom web design process all starts with a consultation to understand who your target audience is, who you want to reach, how you want/need the website to function and how you want it to look. The team gets to know your business, competition, industry, and brand, their ultimate goal is to set you apart.
SEO (getting your website found on search engines) plays a huge role in the success of any website and there are rules to follow to achieve this from the time your website is built, and not all themes/templates are capable of abiding by these rules. This is why custom built websites are so much more effective than a template based website as a web developer will optimize the site during the build to allow google and other search engines read each page to give the end user a more relevant search result thus, giving custom built websites a better overall ranking on the search engines which goes beyond specific keyword research.
As custom built websites are built and catered to a particular business they take longer and are more expensive than a theme or template website which also gives a business a higher rate of return on their website investment.
Check out the below points on custom built websites below.
CUSTOM BUILT WEBSITES PROS/CONS:
- Your site will have a completely unique design that will incorporate your company’s branding and will be based around the needs of your business.
- It is adaptable to your company’s needs.
- The site is tested to work across all browsers & devices.
- It will be built to be found on search engines.
- A custom website is more expensive than a template based website.
- The process is longer than having a template based website.
- Your website will grow with your business. If you know how you want it to function in the future, a developer will ensure that those specific technologies are installed in the site to be able to incorporate those ideas once the time comes.
- The company that built the site will be there for you with any questions and support you need.
The bottom line is, would you rather spend your time figuring out how to build your website to accomodate your needs and be found on search engines, or would you rather have professionals take care of your business’ online presence while you concentrate on running your business? The option is yours.
Diverse Marketing specializes in graphic design, web design, e-commerce, social media marketing, and branding. We provide our customers with admirable quality and creativity backed by the highest level of customer service to both local and international clients.
For more information on how we can help your business improve your online presence, get in touch. We would love to chat!